Venus protecting Aeneas by Wenceslaus Hollar (Plate 325 - Scenes from Virgil) 1607-1677

"And I, thy daughter, wait another wound.
Yet, if with fates averse, without thy leave,
The Latian lands my progeny receive,
Bear they the pains of violated law,
And thy protection from their aid withdraw.
But, if the Gods their sure success foretell;
If those of heav’n consent with those of hell,
To promise Italy; who dare debate
The pow’r of Jove, or fix another fate?
What should I tell of tempests on the main,
Of Aeolus usurping Neptune’s reign?
Of Iris sent, with Bacchanalian heat
T’ inspire the matrons, and destroy the fleet?
Now Juno to the Stygian sky descends,
Solicits hell for aid, and arms the fiends.
That new example wanted yet above:
An act that well became the wife of Jove!
Alecto, rais’d by her, with rage inflames
The peaceful bosoms of the Latian dames.
Imperial sway no more exalts my mind;
(Such hopes I had indeed, while Heav’n was kind;)
Now let my happier foes possess my place,
Whom Jove prefers before the Trojan race"

-Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 10

 

Venus protecting Aeneas by Wenceslaus Hollar (Plate 325) 1607-1677.


Source:

https://hollar.library.utoronto.ca/islandora/object/hollar%3AHollar_k_0351

 

Quote:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/228/228-h/228-h.htm

Comments

Popular Posts