Cassandra and Ajax the lesser 350-340 BCE

"ATHENA: Dost not know the insult done to me and to the shrine I love?

POSEIDON: Surely, in the hour that Aias tore Cassandra thence.

ATHENA: Yea, and the Achaeans did naught, said naught to him.

POSEIDON: And yet 'twas by thy mighty aid they sacked Ilium.

ATHENA: For which cause I would join with thee to work their bane.

POSEIDON: My powers are ready at thy will. What is thy intent?

ATHENA: A returning fraught with woe will I impose on them.

POSEIDON: While yet they stay on shore, or as they cross the briny deep?

ATHENA: When they have set sail from Ilium for their homes. On them will Zeus also send his rain and fearful hail, and inky tempests from the sky; yea, and he promises to grant me his levin-bolts to hurl on the Achaeans and fire their ships. And do thou, for thy part, make the Aegean strait to roar with mighty billows and whirlpools, and fill Euboea's hollow bay with corpses, that Achaeans may learn henceforth to reverence my temples and regard all other deities."

-Euripides, The Trojan Women

Cassandra and Ajax the lesser 350-340 BCE. Current location: Archaeological Museum of Naples.


Source:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%22Crater_with_red_figures%22_(350-340_BC)_%22Cassandra_and_Ajax%22_.jpg

 

Quote:

http://classics.mit.edu/Euripides/troj_women.html

Comments

Popular Posts