Scene from the 1802 première in Weimar of Goethe's Iphigenia in Tauris by Angelica Kauffman

IPHIGENIA:

    "Thee yet an infant in thy nurse's arms
    I left, a babe I left thee in the house.
    Thou art more happy, O my soul, than speech
    Knows to express. What shall I say? 'tis all
    Surpassing wonder and the power of words.

    An unexpected pleasure, O my friends,
    Have I received; yet fear I from my hands
    Lest to the air it fly. O sacred hearths
    Raised by the Cyclops! O my country, loved
    Mycenae! Now that thou didst give me birth,
    T thank thee; now I thank thee, that my youth
    Thou trainedst, since my brother thou has train'd,
    A beam of light, the glory of his house."


ORESTES:

    "We in our race are happy; but our life,
    My sister, by misfortunes is unhappy."

-Iphigenia in Tauris, by Euripides


 Act three, scene three from Goethe's Iphigenia in Tauris. Drawing. Première of final version of play in Weimar in 1802. Goethe, playing Orestes, seated in the centre. Iphigenia and Pylades are beside him.



Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Goethe_Iphigenia_in_Tauris_1803.jpg

 

Quote:

http://classics.mit.edu/Euripides/iph_taur.html

Comments

Popular Posts