Connla of the Golden Hair and the Fairy Maiden - Unknown artist/date

"And anon she answered for the youth: "Connla is speaking with a lovely, noble-born young lady, who will never die, and who will never grow old. I love Connla of the Golden Hair, and I have come to bring him with me to Moy-mell, the plain of never-ending pleasure. On the day that he comes with me he shall be made King, and he shall reign for ever in Fairyland, without weeping and without sorrow. Come with me, O gentle Connla of the ruddy cheek, the fair, freckled neck, and the golden hair! Come with me, beloved Connla, and thou shalt retain the comeliness and dignity of thy form, free from the wrinkles of old age, till the awful day of judgment."

"Thy flowing golden hair, thy comely face,
Thy all majestic form of peerless grace,
That show thee sprung from Conn's exalted race."

King Conn the Hundred-fighter being much troubled, called then on his druid Coran, to put forth his power against the witchery of the banshee: "O Coran of the mystic arts and of the mighty incantations, here is a contest such as I have never been engaged in since I was made King at Tara—a contest with an invisible lady, who is beguiling my son to Fairyland by her baleful charms. Her cunning is beyond my skill, and I am not able to withstand her power; and if thou, Coran, help not, my son will be taken away from me by the wiles and witchery of a woman from the fairy hills."

Coran the druid then came forward, and began to chant against the voice of the lady. And his power was greater than hers for that time, so that she was forced to retire."


-Childhood's Favorites and Fairy Stories: The Young Folks Treasury, Volume 1, page 390



Connla of the Golden Hair and the Fairy Maiden - Unknown artist/date.



Source:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Connla_and_the_fairy_maiden_-_Project_Gutenberg_etext_19993.jpg?uselang=fr

https://twitter.com/ArachneArachne/status/1141760534490091520


Quote:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19993/19993-h/19993-h.htm

Comments

Popular Posts