Clytemnestra (after the murder) by John Collier 1882

"Clytemnestra: This contest has been long and well thought through by me. The long held grudge is satisfied in the fullness of time. I stand, where I killed him, at the scene of the crime. I did what I did - and I shall not attempt to deny it - that he might not escape, nor yet ward off his fate. I cast a complex net for him, as for a fish, an evil weave it was of wealthy cloth, and struck him twice; two groans was all, his limbs collapsed: and where he lay prostrate I gifted him another cut, a third, and made of him a welcome offering to Hades' house, sure keeper of the dead. So he fell and coughed out his last breath, and sudden the gush of carnage from his mouth to soak me, pure and dark, moist rain of his death, and I laughed with delight to match the sharp and burgeoning joy fields find in the God-given rain. Rejoice that the thing is done, my ancient lords of Argos, if rejoice you will, while I rain curses down! Were it right to pour an offering above the corpse, then such a gift of imprecations would be just and more than just. So great a goblet of distress this fellow filled for us inside this house, which he has now returned to lift and drain."

-Aeschylus, Oresteia: lines 1377-1388


Clytemnestra (after the murder) by John Collier 1882.


Source:

https://regnum.ru/pictures/2863713/5.html

http://the-history-girls.blogspot.com/2018/03/pictures-to-keep-wallpaper-down.html


Quote:

https://ir.canterbury.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/10092/10501/1%20-%20The%20Oresteia%20of%20Aeschylus%20-%20Agamemnon.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y

Comments

Popular Posts